Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Old Wells in His Home, He Wished Gold, Even 30 years ago Remains Uncovered

Colin Steer is a gold digger who is quite anti mainstream. He spent many years cleaning the medieval well in the hope of finding a pot of gold at the bottom. But the man who is now a retiree is not looking for precious metals in mining. He dug an old well found in his own house.
Steer, 67, has been away from normal retirement hobbies, such as gardening and traveling.

Launched dailymail.co.uk, he spent a lot of time for his search in finding treasure.

However, 17 feet into a deep 33th-century well, all he managed to find was a sword and, more worrisome, two German burning devices with his shovel, by 2012."I changed the beam on the floor when I saw a bit of an oddity."

"I dug around one foot and saw that it was a well but my wife just wanted me to close it back because we had three kids running around at the time."

"I always want to dig to see if I can find a pot of gold at the bottom so that when I retire at the end of 2011 that's what I do."


He and his wife, Vanessa, discover the fact that they are sitting in the historic section after revealing the contents of the medieval well beneath their sofa.
The couple moved to their home in Plymouth, Devon about 30 years ago, when they first saw a small indentation on the living room floor.

Steer said:

"I changed the beam on the floor when I saw a bit of an oddity."

"I dug around one foot and saw that it was a well but my wife just wanted me to close it back because we had three kids running around at the time."

"I always want to dig to see if I can find a pot of gold at the bottom so that when I retire at the end of 2011 that's what I do."


When his unique hobby was first discussed in MailOnline six years ago, the retiree said he received help from a local man.

Then they spent three days cleaning the well, which was about 30 inches wide, using a bucket to pull the debris.

The well was like a time machine that brought it back to at least the 16th century, just after the end of the medieval period.

When the excavation reached five feet, he found an old wooden sword with a leather holster.

"It's hidden at a 45-degree angle and seems to fall."

"It's like an old peasant fighting weapon because it seems to be made of metal pieces that are put together."

He puts the lighting inside the well, tidied it up and made the door for easy access.

Steer said:

"I've done a lot of research on its history, but I want to try and find something."

"I have seen an old map that shows Drake's Leat (a waterway built in the late 16th century) and describes the area as forest only until it was built in 1895."

"I like the well and think it's interesting."


Menu
The Desperate Men Digging the Old Wells at His Home, He Wished Gold, Even the Remnant of 30 Years Ago Revealed
Monday, July 30, 2018 23:55
    
colin-steer-find-well-at-home_20180730_232539.jpg

Steer said:

"I've done a lot of research on its history, but I want to try and find something."

"I have seen an old map that shows Drake's Leat (a waterway built in the late 16th century) and describes the area as forest only until it was built in 1895."

"I like the well and think it's interesting."


"I want to know who is here before us."

"I have a piece of Plymouth history in my front room."

Six years later, he told Plymouth Live that he now had thought the well would get wider, closer to the base.

And he is still determined to find out what exactly is at the bottom of the well:

"I want to find something below."

"I wish I had something to go back to the past and see what's here."



No comments:

Post a Comment